Planning & Development Technician
July 27, 2016
Well established construction company in Hamilton is expanding! We are looking for a highly skilled and personable Planning and Development Technician with strong work ethics that can meet tight timelines and interact with engineers and other technical professionals.
Role Specifics The Construction and Development team focuses largely on low to mid rise developments in the greater Hamilton/Niagara region. Projects are variable and range from small multiple developments to large scale mixed residential developments. The team will provide due diligence services at the land acquisition stage, preliminary engineering in support of development applications, detailed design, contract administration and field review services through to final acceptance of the development by the municipality.
Professional Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications Reporting to the President, the Planning and Development Technician in this position will involve (but is not limited to) carrying out the following tasks, and includes working with a team of engineers and other technical professionals, to achieve this:
- Ability to evaluate land development opportunities and constraints
- Prepare and revise development plans, design alternatives using AutoCAD
- Communicate with appropriate municipal agencies
- Attend & conduct meetings to present plans, proposals, and land studies
- Prepare and oversee land development applications, official plans, zoning by-laws, secondary plans, and other municipal planning documents
- Manage the development approval process including official plan amendment, zoning amendment, committee of adjustment, plan of subdivision, etc.
- Conduct research on properties which includes zoning, planning policies, servicing status, environmental constraints and OMB decisions.
- Evaluate site and subdivision plans to ensure compliance with all applicable land development codes and regulations.
- Manage the clearing of draft plan conditions
- Review and approve all billing relating to land development work
- Working knowledge of the Planning Act and Regulations
- Provincial policies, Regional Official Plan, Growth Management, infrastructure planning and environmental assessments and Local planning policies is a huge bonus.
- You will also have to showcase a good understanding of development standards for low-rise and mid-rise buildings, with a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License, and have access to a vehicle for use on corporate business.